Cathedral Picnic Details
Schodack Island State Park Pavilion
Sunday 18 September - 1:00pm to 4:00pm
The Cathedral Hospitality Commission and the Stewardship Commission will again host the annual Cathedral Picnic. This year the picnic will take place on Sunday, September 18th, from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. It will be held at the Schodack Island State Park located at 1443 River Road, Schodack Landing, NY12156 (phone 732-0187). It’s about 20 minutes from the Cathedral.
This year the Cathedral Picnic will be held in the large pavilion. There are beautiful, clean restroom facilities and a great playground adjacent. There are horseshoe pits and a large open area that can be used for bocce or volley ball. There are also hiking trails and fishing.
Hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, water, soda, wine and beer are provided, along with paper plates, cups etc., cooking supplies & condiments. Everyone is asked to bring a side dish, salad or dessert to pass. Also bring lawn chairs if desired since the only seating provided is picnic benches.
Schodack Island State Park sits off the eastern shore of the Hudson River just south of Albany. Approximately seven miles of Hudson River and Schodack Creek shoreline bound the 1,052-acre site. A day-use facility, the park has been designated a State Estuary, and a portion of the park shelters a Bird Conservation Area (BCA) that is home to bald eagles, cerulean warblers and blue herons that nest in the cottonwood trees. Eight miles of multi-use trails wind through a variety of ecological communities. In addition, the park has an improved bike trail, volleyball nets, horseshoe and a kayak/canoe launch site.
Directions From Albany:
· Schodack Island State Park is located ten miles from the Cathedral of All Saints on Route 9J in the Town of Schodack.
· Drive East across the Hudson River on the Dunn Memorial Bridge to Rensselaer, following the signs for East Greenbush (US Routes 9 & 20).
· As you start to go up the hill, turn right (South) onto Route 9J.
· Continue South on Route 9J for approximately 8 miles, the park entrance road is a right turn, just past the village of Castleton-on-Hudson.
· There is a very long drive of almost 1 mile into the park before you come to the building where you pay for parking. Don’t give up!
· There is a $6 per car State Park entrance fee. We recommend that you car pool, to reduce the cost per person. You can ask for verbal directions to the large Pavilion at the ticket booth. The Pavilion is straight ahead, maybe ¼ mile and you will enter a large parking lot right beside the Pavilion.
· The Cathedral Picnic will be at the large pavilion.