Development at Cathedral of All Saints: Past, Present and Future
During the last two decades the Cathedral congregation, with the help of many friends, has been diligently meeting its responsibility as steward of the sacred and historic building founded in 1872 as the Cathedral of All Saints. In 1998, under the leadership of Bishop-in-Residence David Ball, the Cathedral kicked off “Adventure in Faith,” a capital campaign that would last well into the next century and eventually raise about $5,000,000. Before it was over the entire Cathedral was re-roofed, all flying buttresses repointed and recapped, many engaged buttresses restored, the Great East Window restored, a new high efficiency furnace installed, and many other smaller improvements realized. More recently, under the leadership of Dean David Collum, three chapels were restored.
The task of restoring and maintaining the Cathedral and its properties goes on. The Cathedral must raise funds for several major projects:
- Further masonry and roof work on the main building
- A new floor for the sanctuary
- A new organ
- A new sound system
- Improvements in the lighting system
- A new garden on the southwest corner
- Renovation of the Guild House
Funding is already in place for the renovation of the northwest garden. See previous page.
But improvements of its physical properties constitute only half of the challenges the Cathedral faces. It must augment its four endowments: General, Outreach, Music, and Building. Recently over $1,000,000 has been added, primarily to the Outreach Endowment, but much more must be done to increase all the endowments. In the end it is the people who come to the Cathedral and the people it serves who make the care of its facilities so important.
The Cathedral plans an on-going campaign to raise funds for the projects you see listed above. In the meantime every gift of any size is greatly appreciated.